Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Woods

The air is still as sadness and psychosis accompany me on my one way trip into the woods. They are willing companions, ever encouraging whenever doubt creeps in. Sadness reminds me of all the reasons I left, and psychosis tells me how good of an idea it is, not to give up.

Whoever looks will find my car at the cul-de-sac where I left it and they will wonder about it as it decays and rusts and nature reclaims it. Or they will have it towed; I parked it in front of someone's driveway. Probably they will have it towed. But I do not need it anymore.

The wind begins to whisper to me, telling me many things. Unfortunately it does not tell me where I am, so I remain lost.

I remember the child I left behind. He turns four this month. We induced his birth on the 29th of February. We wanted a leap year baby. I wanted to save money on birthday parties. Sadly I did not anticipate his mother's opposition to such a proposition. Still, despite his physical size and appearance, I called him four years old. I hoped to tell strangers he was afflicted with Progeria, except the rarer kind that does not inhibit growth. Does it exist?

The trees cast their shadow on me, protecting me from the sun's harsh light. I can do this. Society has cast me out, but here, among the squirrels and the birds and the bears...Bears? Bears!!?? Maybe society will take me back.

1 comment: